Remodeling a home can be one of the most stressful experiences, but it does not have to be. Planning ahead and getting in the right frame of mind will help so much. I, personally, prefer new construction or furnishings jobs over remodels because of the angst the remodels cause the clients. I end up providing more hand holding than design work.
And I agree, it is quite unnerving to live in a space while someone comes in with sledge hammer and tears it to pieces right before your very eyes and ears. However, the rewards are well worth it.
Here is some advice I give to my clients when they are about to embark on a remodel:
- Get a game plan and stay the course.
- Something will surprise you so just roll with it.
- Be prepared by selecting materials and ordering them in advance as this will prevent long delays.
- Create a haven to retreat to inside or outside of your home away from the noise and the mess.
- Remember, it is only temporary!
In the above image, my clients set up a temporary kitchen in their garage during construction while maintaining their sleeping quarters upstairs.